Friday, April 16, 2010

Tomato Basil Soup

I started out with a recipe from Cooking Light but then changed it up to make this. I think it would be good with roasted red bell peppers or some Cholula hot sauce too. The Cooking Light recipe didn't call for sugar but after making it I felt it was too acidic. So I pulled out a can of tomato soup and looked at the ingredients. The second ingredient was high fructose corn syrup, which kind of surprised me. It made me feel good that I was making my own tomato soup, but I also realized it was missing the sweetness that I am used to. So that's where the sugar comes in. I serve this with grilled cheese, but if you are trying to watch calories/carbs, try making an open face grilled cheese instead, with only one slice of bread.

2 tsp olive oil
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
2 c chicken broth
2 cans stewed or diced tomatoes
1 c milk (optional)
1/4-1/3 c sugar
Basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery and onions; cook until soft, 3-5 mins. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth, salt, tomatoes, milk and sugar; bring to a boil. (When you add the milk it will curdle instantly but when you blend it later these curdles will get chopped up. Milk is totally optional too.) Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley.

Place half of the soup in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a bowl, and repeat procedure with remaining soup. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed