- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 pound uncooked mostaccioli pasta (tube-shaped pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 3/4 cups (1-inch) pieces asparagus (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan, divided
Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into strips.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add bell pepper, crushed red pepper, and the next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes). Bring to a simmer; cook for 7 minutes. Stir in asparagus; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Combine mushroom mixture, pasta, and 1/4 cup cheese in a large bowl, tossing well to combine. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over pasta.